The Amsler grid is a tool that eye doctors use to detect vision problems resulting from damage to the macula (the central part of the retina) or the optic nerve.
The damage may be caused by macular degeneration or other eye diseases, so the Amsler grid is useful in detecting these problems.
- Make sure that the room where you are is adequetly lighted and that the screen is at the usual distance from your eyes (cca 36 cm from the screen)
- If you normally wear glasses or lenses, wear them while doing the test.
- Cover one eye.
- With the uncovered eye look at the middle dot of the grid.
- Do the test with both eyes.
- Undamaged sight should give you a clear image of the grid and straight lines.
- If the lines are distored or you cannot see the complete image, visit your ophthalmologist immediately.